Our Mission is to educate, promote stewardship and preserve the natural beauty, ecological significance and distinctive resources of Flax Pond and our surrounding coastal areas. Flax Pond is a salt marsh on the north shore of central Long Island, cradled between Crane Neck Point and Old Field Point, north of the village of Stony Brook. The Pond is jointly owned by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and the State University of New York at Stony Brook.
- An area designated by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) as an area of "Significant Coastal Fish and Wildlife Habitat."
- A tidal estuary behind a barrier beach in the center of Old Field, Setauket, NY
- 135-acres of salt marsh with great bio-diversity and natural beauty
- Habitat for species dependent on the tidal rhythms for survival
- A nursery, a shelter, a food source and a place of continual renewal